Now that we have built the base site with an Inspiration and made some preferred changes with the Customizer, it is now time to modify the page content to represent our sample company. This will not involve changing colors and fonts as those have already been done via the Customizer. This is about changing the layout and content of the page itself. We will begin by learning how to edit the Home page.
Opening the Page for Editing
You will be dealing with several sections while learning to edit the home page. We will go over each section and discuss how to change them. We will go over title and text changes first and then do the images Home and The sample page here uses the Wedge theme. Your theme may contain different Gridblocks, but the concepts are the same.
Changing Title Text
The first area of the top Gridblock is a title area. To change the content, click somewhere in the box containing the text. From here you can delete the existing title and replace it with your own.
A title also appears in the middle Gridblock. Just like before, click in the title area and the cursor will appear at the end of the title. Remove the existing title and enter your own.
In the middle Gridblock there are three blue smaller title sections. These are changed using the same technique.
Modifying Paragraph Text
Click in an area that contains the stock paragraph text. This opens the area for editing. Highlight all the content in the column of the box and delete it. Once deleted, add your own paragraph. Do the same for the second column.
Next, the text areas under the blue subtitles need to be changed. Again, follow the same technique of highlighting and removing the text, then pasting the replacement text.
The last Gridblock on this sample is a Testimonial style. Though it looks different, replacing the text here is done the same as the other examples.
Editing the Home Page Images
Uploading Images to your Site
- From the left-hand menu in the dashboard, hover over the Media option and then click on the Add New option.
- This will bring you to the Upload New Media page. Click on the Select Files option.
- From your local machine, highlight the images you want to upload and click Open. This will upload all the images to your media library.
Once your images have been uploaded, you can replace the stock ones on the page.
- Click on the image and a small toolbar will appear at the top. Click on the Change option.
- This will bring you to the Media Library tab of the Replace Image screen. Locate and click on the image you want to use. A blue border will appear around it with a checkmark, this means it is selected. Click on the Replace button.
- You may be asked to crop the image. If you want to use the whole image, click on the Skip Cropping button. You can crop if you wish to trim edges of the image.
- The new image will be inserted. Notice it is not the same size as the previous image. Don’t worry about that for now as you can adjust it later.
After replacing stock images, you may notice that the sizes don’t quite match.
Now perform the same steps on the second image. This will make both images the same width and align nicely with the entire page.
Once you have completed altering your images, click on the “Update” button to save the changes.
Your home page should now be complete and look vastly different than when you started. If you look at your page on your site you will see your content along with the theme changes you made in the Customizer. Our sample site is shown to the right. Now that you have learned how to edit the home page you can edit the “About Us” page.