WordPress is able to create galleries from the media library, but the Gutenberg editor also provides a block that you can use directly in the editor. Follow the tutorial below to learn how to create a gallery in the Gutenberg editor.
Note that the Gutenberg editor has been integrated directly into the WordPress Administrator dashboard as of WordPress version 5.0. It is now the default WordPress editor.
- Login to your WordPress Administrator Dashboard.
- Open an existing draft of a page or post in the editor. You can also create a new page or post.
- Click on the + sign in order to add a block in Gutenberg editor.
- In the Blocks menu go to Common Blocks and then look for the one labeled Gallery. Click on the block to start your gallery.
- When the Gallery block opens you will have the option to upload your images or choose the images that are in the media library. Select the option you wish to use to put your images into the gallery. Note that you can select multiple images in the media library.
- Once you have completed selecting or uploading your images click on Create New Gallery.
- If you’re satisfied with gallery, then click on Insert Gallery. This will enter the gallery into your page or post. Formatting of the pictures will depend on the theme that you’re using and the number of pictures you have included in the gallery. The size of the gallery on the page or post will depend on the images that you are adding. The gallery changes in size to fit in the space. You have several options to align the gallery as well as change the width of the gallery. You can see these options in the top left corner of the block when you click on the gallery.
- Click on Update or Publish to save the gallery.
At this point, you will be able to see the completed gallery with all of your images. For more information on using the Gutenberg editor, please see our article on how to add a cover image with the Gutenberg editor.
Get more for free by signing up with BoldGrid Central Create Account