There is a point where you may want to save a block so that you can reuse it elsewhere in a different location. Fortunately, this can be done very simply by using reusable blocks in the Gutenberg editor. Follow the directions below to learn how to save a Reusable block.
What is a reusable block?
A reusable block is a modified or formatted block created within the Gutenberg editor and saved so that you can apply that same block in a different part of your WordPress site. The screenshot below identifies a reusable block.
How to Create a reusable block
Learn how to create a reusable block in the Gutenberg editor by following the directions below.
- Log in to the WordPress Administrator
- Open a page or post to edit or create a new one as needed.
- Add a block and then format or add styles to it as per your preference.
- Once you’re done with the formatting of the block, click on the three vertical dots to the right of the block.
- Click on Convert to reusable block.
- You will then see a bar at the bottom of the block with the options for Edit and Detach. Click on Edit to name the block.
- Click on Save to finish.
Once the block is saved you can access it from the blocks menu at any time. If you ever need to make changes to the block and then save it as a different block, simply detach the block, make your edits, then convert it a reusable block again and name it differently. That completes our tutorial on saving reusable blocks in the Gutenberg editor. For more information on using Gutenberg, check our article on How to set the Pending Review option.