- September 1, 2017 at 1:50 am #23769Anonymous UserMember
I installed a WordPress website with BoldGrid, selected a theme via Inspirations, and started editing the pages, changing text, uploading images, etc.
Now I want to move the site to another domain. How do I go about doing this, without breaking functionality and links within the site? If there’s a tutorial or guide you can point me to, I’d be much grateful.
Thank you very much,
DavidSeptember 1, 2017 at 8:02 am #23770adminMember
Thanks for the great question about moving a WordPress/BoldGrid website to a new domain. I guess the first question is, are you moving servers as well? The process isn’t terribly different but there are a few nuances. The process itself is exactly the same as any WordPress website. Hopefully, I can guide you through it (these steps were taken directly for the WordPress Codex).
- Download your existing site files.
- Export your database – go into MySQL and export the database.
- Move the backed up files and database into a new folder – somewhere safe – this is your site backup.
- Log into the site you want to move and go to Settings > General, then change the URLs. (ie from http://example.com/ to http://example.net ) – save the settings and expect to see a 404 page.
- Download your site files again.
- Export the database again.
- Edit wp-config.php with the new server’s MySQL database name, username, and password.
- Upload the files.
- Import the database on the new server.
Let us know if you need anything else or if you have any further questions.
- The topic ‘Moving a WordPress/BoldGrid website’ is closed to new replies.