Setting a Backup Directory in Total Upkeep
The Total Upkeep backup plugin has configuration options for setting the backup directory, which allows you to choose where your WordPress backups are stored on your web server. The following guide will provide you with information on configuring this location in your WordPress Dashboard.
- In the Dashboard, navigate to Total Upkeep → Settings
- Using the left-hand navigation menu, select Backup Directory
- Enter the Backup Directory you wish to use for storing backups
- Click Save Changes
Congratulations! You now know how to set up your backup directory in Total Upkeep.
Because of the way a backup plugin stores copies of the files associated with your website, Total Upkeep will have to perform multiple functions when taking a backup. These may include the following tasks:
- Read every file and folder on your website
- Read every row in every table in your website’s database
- Run all the data through an archive compressor
- Write the results to your web server’s disk drive
Because of these operations, Total Upkeep will use a lot of Input and Output (I/O) resources as well as CPU. These operations are necessary for making a backup of your website.
If your website is small then you may not be affected in the same capacity as a site that has a lot of content or visitor interaction. Keep in mind, if your database and web server are on the same physical machine, more resources will be used when completing a backup.
200+ Design Templates + 1 Kick-ass SuperTheme
6 WordPress Plugins + 2 Essential Services
Everything you need to build and manage WordPress websites in one Central place.