In this article:
If you are active on social media sites like Twitter or Facebook, you should consider adding these links to your website. Your customers will likely be on these social media sites more than yours. Giving them the opportunity to like and follow your page and post comments will increase user engagement.
In this article we will show you how to add a social media menu to your WordPress website step by step.
- Open the Customizer and click on Menus > Create New Menu.
- Give you new menu a name and select the Menu Location it should to appear in. The Menu Locations are set by the active theme. Click + Add Items.
- Select the Custom Links option.
- Fill out the URL and Link Text fields for your social media link. If the URL starts with a social media domain (like https://facebook.com, https://twitter.com, etc.), the text link will automatically convert to the social media icon in the live preview.
- Click Publish once you are done adding your social media icons.
- You will now see the icon for each social media site in the menu, an example is shown below.
Most social media websites will convert to the icon, including:
Social Media Icons in WordPress
If you are using our website builder Inspirations, you can create a social media menu during initial website creation. On the final step you can select from over 30 icons to create your social media menu.
How to Add Social Media Icons to a WordPress Menu
If you’d like to have a menu with both text links and social media icons, WordPress can do that! Only the links going to social media sites are converted to icons, all other links will use the Link Text set in the Customizer. The example shown here is a single menu in the WordPress Customizer.
Open a Menu Link in a New Tab
You can make any menu item open in a new tab by enabling the Link Target setting in the Customizer.
- Open the Customizer and click on Menus.
- Click on the gear icon to show the advanced menu properties
- Check the box by the Link Target setting.
- Now open the menu with the links you’d like to open in a new tab.
- Click the arrow on a menu item to expand the options. You should now see the Open link in a new tab option under the Navigation Label field. Check this box.
- Click Publish to save the changes.
There are some social media platforms that are not automatically recognized by the theme framework and you can create your own custom icons for these outliers.
200+ Design Templates + 1 Kick-ass SuperTheme
6 WordPress Plugins + 2 Essential Services
Everything you need to build and manage WordPress websites in one Central place.