How do I migrate my WordPress site to another host?
One of the best parts of using WordPress, and BoldGrid with it, is that you are always free to take your website to any hosting service that you would like. Migrating WordPress can be a hassle, but follow these easy steps using BoldGrid Backup to migrate your website easier than ever.
Important Considerations – Preparing to Migrate WordPress
- Consider that after you migrate your WordPress Files and Databases, you will still need to point your DNS records to your new provider. This is typically done at the registrar, by setting the nameservers to those of your new host
- Consider that if you are hosting your email on the same server as your WordPress website, you will need to transfer WordPress separately from your mail services.
- Consider that if your WordPress website has frequent visitors who make purchases on your website, or contribute content, you may want to migrate WordPress during the least-busy time of day, so that purchases are not made during the DNS propagation period. You may even consider placing your website in maintenance mode during the transfer
- Above all, do not change your DNS until you have made certain your website is working on the new host
Throughout this guide, we’ll be using the terms “Current Host” and “Current Site” referring to the source site— the website you are migrating away from. We’ll be using the terms “New Host” and “New Site” referring to the destination site— the website you are migrating to.
Install WordPress on Your New Host
- Use your new host’s WordPress installation instructions. Keep in mind that you don’t need to customize or make any content in your new site, the following steps will overwrite any changes you make
- Install BoldGrid Backup in your new WordPress
Back Up on Your Current Host
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard
- Navigate to BoldGrid Backup > Backup Archives and click on Backup Now.
- Ensure that you have both options selected for Full Backup. Optionally, you may name your backup so that you can remember which one you used to migrate to your new host
- Allow time for the backup to complete. Once it does, click View Details
- Ensure all of your files and database tables are included in the details
Create Download Link on Your Current Host
- On your current site, navigate to BoldGrid Backup > Backup Archives > View Details
- Click Get Download Link and then Copy Link
Upload Link on Your New Host
- Navigate to BoldGrid Backup > Backup Archives > Upload Backup
- Paste the Download Link into the Download URL Address field and click Upload
- Allow time for the upload to complete. Once it does, click View Details
- Click Restore. Acknowledge the warning that you may be logged out during the restoration process, you will use your username and password from your original host
Test Your Website on Your New Host
- If your new site is using a temporary URL, you can test it using that address and update your Site URL after changing your DNS
- If your new site is using the same URL, test it by modifying your computer’s hosts file to your new IP address
- Once you are certain your new site is functioning correctly, proceed to update your DNS to your new host
Congratulations! You now know how to migrate WordPress Website to a new host using the BoldGrid WordPress Backup Plugin.
Get more for free by signing up with BoldGrid Central Create Account